Extra-clan marriages

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 94 23:15:41 GMT

Joerg:
> Has anybody pointed out yet that the exogamous clans of the Colymar
> were those of the Runegate triaty, the Hyaloring clans, one of which
> (the Enhyli) still is known as the Elmal clan? Apparently this strict
> rule of intermarriage is a Solar Theyalan phenomenon rather than a
> Heortling phenomenon.

Nope, it's a Documented Feature of the Triaty (KoS), and the Hyaloring are/were not the only such. The Tree Triaty show no signs of sun worship.

> There are too many known cases of "wild"
> intertribal marriages as well as intra-clan ones (need I say
> Melisande's Hand, and the local boy participant) to make up a rule from
> this one exception, and then an untypical one.

I don't think there's any Rule against intertribal marriage, apart from perhaps the odd local custom. I'm sure it's the practical norm, though. And is it ever stated that all Garhounders are of the same clan? Plus, this is "merely" a ceremonial year-marriage, which I previously suggested might be looked on differently.

Alex.