The Origins of Gorgorma

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 1994 15:03:27 +1300

Sandy Writes on the Origins of Gorgorma.

> It has been suggested that the Dendara/Gorgorma cult was
>imported by the horse nomads from Kralorela to Peloria, because this
>cult is known to exist in both regions, which are otherwise quite
>culturally dissimilar.

This is not what I said. I suggested that Sheng Seleris transplanted the Kralori Dendara/Gorgorma cult in place of the Pelorian form. As this is fairly recent, it explains the cultural similarity. IMO, the differences between the cults would be far more drastic if the cult was transplanted before the dawn _and no subsequent transplantation had occured_. After all Dara Happa went through several religious trends during this time: Nysalor's Empire, Ordanestyan reforms resulting in the insanity cults, The New Light and the EWF, Carmanian influences and then comes the Red Moon. Kralorela underwent the Shang-Hsa 'reformation', the New Dragons Ring and Godunya's restoration. IMO the two cults would be as different as Japanese and Tibetian Buddhism and only God Learners would see the resemblance if there had been no transplantation since the time you suggest.

>There is probably some truth in this
>assertion, but I do _not_ think that the Pent nomads intentionally
>imported Gorgorma to Peloria in an attempt to control the locals.

My suggestion is Sheng transplanted the Kralorelan Farmers Goddess (Dendara and Gorgorma being the two sides) because the resulting manifestations of
>Gorgorma< would be more controllable due to the magic rites he had. This
does suppose that Sheng Seleris had subjugated a potion of Kralorela. (This makes the Kralori maintainence of a fleet despite the Closing and their obsession with Bridge building easier to fathom).

> For some reason Sheng Seleris is credited with this spread,
>though the long domination of Peloria by the nomads before the First
>Age would appear to be a likelier time for such an introduction.

The trouble with this theory is did the Horse nomads ever reach Kralorela or the Jankley Bore at this time (ie the Horse Nomads visited Pent)? Current writings imply that they only did so after they were thrashed at the battle of Argentium Thir'ile which in 230 ST is far too late for Dendara and Gorgorma to have been identified by Pletonius on the Gods Wall.