Re: Kralorelan Dendara

From: via RadioMail <David>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 21:43:12 -0800

Peter Metcalfe answers Nick Brooke
>>Why oh why is Peter Metcalfe so absolutely convinced that Dendara as
>>worshipped in Peloria is *SO* similar to the wife of the Kralori sun god
>>that only a very recent and comprehensive transplant from Kralorela to
>>Peloria can explain this?
>
>Writeups in Gods of Glorantha and similarities of names, perhaps? Perhaps
>you are privy to some info the rest of us don't have? I do not believe that
>Dendara is worshipped for being the Sun Gods Wife. Dendara is worshipped for
>being the Earth Goddess. Her marriage to the Sun is only a social construct.

This is close to becoming tedious, but...

It's true that Dendara is listed in the Cults Book as being part of the Eastern Pantheon. (No Sun God is listed, however, so I'd like to learn your source that Dendara is the Kralori Sun's wife.)

However, Babeester Gor, Maran Gor, and Ty Kora Tek are all listed as part of the Pamalt Pantheon. But when we take a closer look (Sandy's postings to this list and its predecessor), we learn that in fact, Hondori Mal, Lokomal, and Sikasso are worshipped in Pamaltela. As Sandy says, the "God Learners recognized Lokomal as Maran Gor, but the parallel only goes so far." I think if there were an official, detailed look at Kralorela, we'd no longer find the name "Dendara" used. Look what's happening to the supposedly familiar Pelorian deities...

So it seems most likely that the deity listed in the "we only have 82 pages to try to describe every Gloranthan deity" book as Dendara isn't really Dendara, but some Kralori goddess who is very similar.

>are known by
>the same name *despite* >Yelm< being called Somash in Teshnos and >Ernalda<
>called the Great Green Lady in Ralios. For the record, I do acknowlege the
>two lands do have some differences in Dendara worship. But the worship of
>Dendara in both lands is much more similar in form than Yelm. I don't think
>the latter is acknowleged as Dendara's husband in Kralorela going instead for
>Nil's name of Ti Shang (sp?)...

Ralios is a pretty wide-spread place -- "Great Green Lady" is Ernalda's name in non-Theyalan lands, if remember correctly, so that's hardly indicative of anything. And as I mentioned before, Yelm isn't mentioned as being worshipped in Kralorela. Nils may have good stuff, but it's hardly official.

>Sheng may have made her Wife of Yu-Kargzant in both Peloria
>(and maybe Kralorela)

If he did, it's news to this Grazer GM. Yu-kargzant's wife is obviously La-ungariant. If Dendara has any presence at all, it's as a slave women's deity.

>What better than the
>knowlege that Gorgorma is actually Dendara?

Perhaps factual knowledge?

Regardless of whether or not you think the same deity is worshipped in both places, how about telling us how the Main Women's Deity is _different_ (since we all agree she is)?