Teshnos & Kralorela

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 94 10:35:19 +0100

Nils Weinander writing

Peter Metcalfe on Sheng Seleris & Kralorela:
> This
>does suppose that Sheng Seleris had subjugated a potion of Kralorela. (This
>makes the Kralori maintainence of a fleet despite the Closing and their
>obsession with Bridge building easier to fathom).

That's an interesting thought. How do you mean that the fleet and the bridges relate to Sheng's invasion?

Dendara:
Against better judgement I jump into this infected discussion.

Peter:
>Que? Kralori Goodwife Goddess? She is *primarily* a Farmers Goddess as
>far as I know.

I thought the main agricultural goddess of Kralorela was Rice Mother, so here I agree with Nick that Dendara is mainly the wife of the sun.

> But the worship of
>Dendara in both lands is much more similar in form than Yelm. I don't think
>the latter is acknowleged as Dendara's husband in Kralorela going instead for
>Nil's name of Ti Shang (sp?)...

In _my_ Kralorela, the sun is called Yang Ti (sun lord) by the theists (a minority today) and Yang Long (sun dragon) by the mystics/draconics (the majority, at least among the educated).

Anyway, here is what Red Tiger has to say about the Dendara business:

'Those who follow the way of the gods have the following story: When Yang Ti the Sun Lord, whom most of us call Yang Long, made an alliance of the Sky and the Earth he searched long for a bride among the fair goddesses of the Earth. He dallied with Ean Xi, the Earth Queen {Ernalda}, but found that she was unfaithful and had many lovers. So, Yang Ti left her and instead married Den Xi {Dendara}, a shy daughter of Ean Xi who lived in the blessed eastern lands.

Den Xi proved to be the epitome of wifely fidelity, following her husband from her familiar home in the Earth up into the Sky. Thus she was rewarded with powers of Light and was acknowledged as one of the rulers of the Sky as well as daughter of the earth. It is said that before Daruda brought draconic wisdom to the empire, Den Xi was the only goddess of the emperors' wives and concubines. We know that she is still a favourite.

But Den Xi also has a dark and frightening twin sister called Gong Xi {Gorgorma}. Wherever Den Xi goes, Gong Xi follows, hidden in her fair sister's shadow. Since Den Xi always goes two step behind her husband, there is always a shadow behind her where Gong Xi can lurk.'

I hope I didn't inflame this debate even more. Nick says it's better off dead, and if that's the general sentiment I won't say anything more.

Peter on my Teshnos mythical history:
>I appreciated Nils notes on the History and Mythology of Tesnos.

Well thank you.

> The only thing that I would quibble with is the existance of the three
>brothers myth in the caste system of the invading Solars. This myth
>smacks of having been adopted by the God learners when they ruled the
>place.

Actually my myth is very far from the god learner monomyth: the three sky brothers are there yes, but what's important aren't the fact that they are brothers, but that they are part of a mythology which emphasizes the three forces of creation, desctruction and preservation. These are not found in any god learner theories.

>Furalor IMO came later as an explanation as to the troubles and turmoils
>of the Gods War, but you may have a better idea.

Plausible enough, but I prefer to keep her as the force of destruction, who through propitiation etc has been reduced to sort of an underworld goddess.

/Nils W