imtherian folktale

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 09:32:00 -0500 (EST)

(The following is a folktale from the rural southlands of Imther.)

The Reluctant Bride
by Harald Smith

There was once a young woman of Wilara's Grove betrothed to a man of Red Apple. And on a sunny Fireday of Harmonyweek, the woman left her parents and went into the bridal cart. She and her parents travelled down the Red Road to join her new husband at his new cottage. The gifts were exchanged, the ceremony performed, and the new couple danced together and around their new hearth. At last, they were blessed by Imthus and Aidea and entered into the new cottage.

That night, the husband joined his bride in their bed, but she said to him, "It is not right that we do this tonight for we are both very tired and everything would be better if we were well rested." The husband considered this and agreed that they should wait until they were both rested.

The next morning, the husband joined his bride in their bed, but she said to him, "It is not right that we do this in the morning in Yelem's light, for surely he would judge us harshly if we did anything wrong." The husband considered this and agreed that they should wait until Yelem was gone from the sky.

That night, the husband joined his bride in their bed, but she said to him, "It is not right that we do this now, for I have been touched by Khalana and am purifying myself. Surely we should wait until Khalana has cleansed me."
The husband considered this, and though disappointed, agreed that they should wait until she was cleansed.

The next week, the husband joined his bride in their bed, but she said to him, "It is not right that we do this now, for it is Deathweek of Stormseason and surely any child born from such union would be cursed." The husband considered this, and though upset, agreed that they should wait until the following week.

The next week, the husband joined his bride in their bed, but she said to him, "It is not right that we do this now for this is a week of ceremonies and I must not be tired lest I endanger the rituals."

The husband stood up and said, "This is the fifth time you have refused me. You are like unto Orlantio, the fickle wind, who always wants to do as he will without consideration of others. You are like the apple at the top of the tree which looks delicious but can't be reached. Since you are like Orlantio, I will throw you afield and give you to him, for you are surely not a bride to me."

And so the husband picked his bride up from the bed and took out her

hair braid and cast her out of the house.

"Let the wind and the world know," said the husband after her, "that a child was produced from our union."

Note: In Imther, women wear hair braids, children do not. The husband's pulling out her hair braid signifies that she has been cast out as a child instead of as a woman. Further, Orlantio is considered a child in many respects and so is trickery. The woman's actions, by being compared to those of Orlantio, are considered childish.