Lions of Carmania

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 29 Nov 94 01:51:52 EST

Kiwi Peter:

> The lions seems to be on the other side of Peloria. The Carmanians had
> a Lion dynasty, as I recall from Nick's postings, so it looks like the
> Pelorian Lion was found in and around the forests of Western Peloria.

That's right. But a heck of a lot of them were killed when the Bull Shahs came to power, later. Anyone else here remember those Assyrian Lion Hunt reliefs? The Shah used to hunt trapped lions in the arena to demonstrate his prowess, and it really took a heavy toll of the population (of lions, that is: they only managed to get one Bull Shah!).

Greg was at one time wondering if the "Pelorian Lion" was related to the sabretooth tigers of Balazar and the Elder Wilds, perhaps being the same species. I'm not sure how this was resolved. As a Basmoli contingent was part of Syranthir's Army of Ten Thousand, some diversity could well have been introduced from the Lions of the Old West (making Carmanian lions, like Carmanian horses, bigger and stronger than the local breeds).

Anyway, I agree that West Peloria (Pelanda and environs) would have the same kind of lion-culture influences as Homeric Greece, esp. lots of the wonderful lion-hunt similes. The lion can often be found as a Good Thing there (Noble Beast, etc); apparently the Dara Happans view it more as an Enemy.

> For starters, if we're going to decide that the name of the MWaFD in
> Kralorela is different, anybody got any ideas as to what she should be
> called? My Chinese isn't very good (in fact it's barely 1%)

Having a round 0%, I'll follow Nils' suggestions in #25.

	Ean Xi		"Ernalda," the faithless Earth Queen
	Den Xi		"Dendara," faithful wife of Yang Long
	Gong Xi		"Gorgorma," her frightning sister

They sound nice, and look familiar enough to be memorable/translatable. Thanks, Nils!

Nick