Re: Vinga; (Yu-)Kargzant

From: via RadioMail <David>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 00:06:31 -0800

John Hughes suggests
>House Vinga was
>originally an all-female group of First Age warrior
>women who worshipped Orlanth Adventurous. ...
>Through the centuries,
>'Adventurous' became 'Adventuress'
>and the Goddess Vinga came into being as an Orlanth subcult.

This is certainly plausible -- almost all subcults seem to be created Since Time -- but where do you find this bit of information?

Peter Metcalfe answers
>>If he did, it's news to this Grazer GM. Yu-kargzant's wife is obviously
>>La-ungariant. If Dendara has any presence at all, it's as a slave women's
>>deity.
>
>The CHDP speaks for the Grazers of Dragon Pass. It does not speak about the
>Fake Sun Horse Bastards aka Pentan Nomads. The latter have long acknowleged
>cattle herding and other heresies. I'm thinking that when Sheng came into
>the Peloria, he dissolved Dendara's marriage to Yelm and married her instead
>in the guise of Kargzant.

I don't believe that Yu-kargzant is necessarily identical to Kargzant. I'm still trying to come up with a myth that explains how Kargzant was transformed by his rescue of Yelm from Hell and became Yu-kargzant (which literally, in some Pelorian language, means God-kargzant).

I'll bet even among the Pentan nomads, widely separated tribes have radically different views of Kargzant (or whoever their main deity is). Surely the Grazers, who lived in Prax for so long, would be even more different.

I think the marriage you propose would be a desperate step (akin to the Red Emperor mating with Gorgorma). Think of it like Abraham Lincoln marrying Harriet Tubman so he could call on the American slaves to rise up in the 1860s. Possible, but things like that just aren't done.