Wisents

From: Greybeard aka Tom Zunder <Greybeard_at_nochet.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 12:22:37 GMT

In message <9411251745.AA08639_at_idcube.idsoftware.com> Sandy Petersen writes:
_at_
_at_ The wisent was wiped out in the wild by 1919 (World War I
_at_ actually destroyed the last forest), but has been reintroduced from
_at_ zoos,

I work for Avesta Sheffield AB, the Anglo-Swedish stainless steel manufacturer and we have the bisons!

In Avesta in the 20s the local magnate decided to preserve a herd of bison. As his company grew, developed and merged, the bison happily flourished.

The company adopted the bison as the company emblem, a 3/4 scale stainless statue of a bison was built and placed outside the Avesta plant, and at the works club they eat bison meat.

So, all in all, the purpose of all this was of course to allow a herd of bison in Sweden to be there when I went over this year.

They are big! They are mean! According to the herders, you do not go near them or they will take you apart.

You know, I have a bit more respect for those Bison Riders now. (Actually the Praxian Bisons must be quite tame compared to wild bison, but that still leaves a wide latitude for nastiness.)