Re: Rice Mother

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 12:37:12 -0500 (EST)

Nils Weinander writes
> I see your point though I'll stick with my view that Rice Mother is the
> main farmer's goddess, and called RICE Mother vecause rice is the most
> important crop. I think _my_ Kralorelans are pragmatic enough to let her
> keep an eye out for the vegetable gardens and pig houses too.

Bingo!

I tend to believe that no matter what people call the local goddess of the land, whether they call her a grain goddess or rice goddess or ernalda or dendara or whatever (even gorgorma or Gon Xi) she is fully capable of aiding or hindering *any* cultivated vegetation. She may not advertise it. She may not be as good at aiding fava beans as she is at aiding rice, but she is the fertility goddess of the land and what she says, goes.

What does this mean for the vast number of minor gods that you should have in any historically accurate agricultural polytheistic society, one per type of crop and one per domesticated animal breed? You still have them, but in game terms they are sub-cults of the land goddess (or god, wouldn't want to be sexist) of the region. You have a turnip boy, and a rice girl, and a chicken spirit that looks like a rabbit, etcetera etcetera etcetera. You can write 'em up if you want to be official about it, but that's the kind of color that good players ought to be able to add to the campaign if they know it's possible. I say "let 'em at it!"