basmal at hill of gold

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 13:50:00 -0500 (EST)

It is part of my Imtherian mythos where Basmal (the lion-headed lord of lightnings) comes to the aid of his brother Khelmal when they go off to face Orlantio. Basmal is slain at the Hill of Gold and Orlantio takes the lightning spears/claws.

It is unclear (in my mind) whether Basmal was an original deity native to the area or whether the name/figure arrived during the First Age (either with the arrival of the Lightbringers or the arrival of the animal nomads who fought at Argentium Thri'ile). My preference leans towards a mix: there was a native lion deity, but the name changed with the arrival of the animal nomads (which may have included Basmoli berserkers from the Prax area).

As for which story of his death to believe, I think it depends on where these Basmoli are. Those in Prax IMO would believe that Tada slew Basmol (and they may believe that Tada must be resurrected for Basmol to be fully restored--i.e. to restore lions to Prax). Those in Ralios would believe that some other figure slew the lion god.

Harald