Earth Goddess...

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 16:37:45 +1300

Kevin:

Replying to David Cake

>The obvious responses are the Trollkin Curse and the Sea of Fire.

I think David was referring to examples of the 'grandfather paradox' which John Hughs implied could happen.

Tom Zunder:

>I sometimes have to sit back and remember what this is all about.

For an antidote read My posting on what comes out of Chargg.

>I thought and still think that Pelorian peasant women worship Pelora, as
>an analogue to Ernalda. Dendara is ok as a goody-goody Earth type, but
>Pelora seems more logical.

Oops. Mel Culpae. I should have said Harrapan... Happan Peasant women worship Dendara. The women of Pelanda at the dawn worshipped Peloria, IMO and everybody else follows the current fashion.

Loren:

>I tend to believe that no matter what people call the local goddess of
>the land, whether they call her a grain goddess or rice goddess or
>ernalda or dendara or whatever (even gorgorma or Gon Xi) she is fully
>capable of aiding or hindering *any* cultivated vegetation.

Correct. I should add that of the many available goddesses in a region, the choice of the one who gets to be dominant appears to be more accident then mythical design. After all Ernalda is dominant in Esrolia and she does not fit the archetype of Land Goddess in the GL scheme of things. Whereas in Fonrit, Ernamola dominates and is a land goddess and Ernalda is barely heard off.

It seems to me that the goddess who gets to be dominant earth goddess gets all the other earth spirits included in the deal as subcults. No doubt the God Learners could explain why so-and-so became the dominant Earth spirit but they're dead and nobody mourns the loss of their wisdom in this matter.