Horse nomads and other things...

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 17:12:21 +1300

Nick:

>Having a round 0%, I'll follow Nils' suggestions in #25.

> Ean Xi "Ernalda," the faithless Earth Queen
> Den Xi "Dendara," faithful wife of Yang Long
> Gong Xi "Gorgorma," her frightning sister

Seconded and upon the weighted votes stuffed in the Ballot box, carried...

John Hughes:

>House Vinga was
>originally an all-female group of First Age warrior
>women who worshipped Orlanth Adventurous. ...
>Through the centuries,
>'Adventurous' became 'Adventuress'
>and the Goddess Vinga came into being as an Orlanth subcult.

Only one problem with your thesis. The Theyalans at the dawn referred to themselves as the *Heortlings*. The Vinga also appear in Heorts Saga in KOS so I would place them just after the time of Vingkot

David Dunham:

David said:

>I don't believe that Yu-kargzant is necessarily identical to Kargzant. I'm
>still trying to come up with a myth that explains how Kargzant was
>transformed by his rescue of Yelm from Hell and became Yu-kargzant (which
>literally, in some Pelorian language, means God-kargzant).

True. I'm thinking that Kargzant among the Pentan nomads really means something like Lord or Big Dude. Thus when the Horse Nomads speak of Kargzant founding their tribe, they really only speak of a (Star Captain?) Ancestor. Jenarong's was Starlight Wanderer, Huradabba's was Vettebbe and so on.

I'm thinking that during time, the shamans transferred the Ancestor loyalties to the Sun, thus giving the rise to Yu-Kargzant and Yelm - -kargzant. This did not happen by the time of Kastok, as the Grazers perform their myth after 1250 ST. The Pentans could have done it after the Pure Horse tribe travelled southwards but I prefer to think it was done by Sheng.

I don't think you need to believe in Pletonius's fairy story that Kargzant was released from Hell. The Horse nomads came upon the scene after the reign of Kazkurtum and Pletonius shuffles this in with the Rising Sun Myth.

>I think the marriage you propose would be a desperate step (akin to the Red
>Emperor mating with Gorgorma). Think of it like Abraham Lincoln marrying
>Harriet Tubman so he could call on the American slaves to rise up in the
>1860s. Possible, but things like that just aren't done.

I think Lincoln is somewhat more sophisticated in cementing political alliances than your average Horse Nomad. I don't really see it as desperate as the Jenarong (ie the earlier emperors) probably practiced such myths when they were in power.

Tom Zunder:

>I am unhappy with the idea that Sheng ever made such a sophisticated and
>GL like decision to "import" religions.

The impression I get of Sheng is that he tends to more of Kublai Khan and not Timur the Lame. According to some notes of Greg, Sheng did import religions into Dara Happa from the 'Kwalings'. This was done to pacify the land, rather than social engineering, although the examples quoted give the impression of NKVD tactics rather than the 3-bean circus...

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #30