Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #31

From: Sven *Erik Sievrin <erisie_at_utu.fi>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 23:22:16 +0200 (EET)

Uh, half of me second Tom Zunder/Greybeard that we should get off the heavy mythological topics - but they are usually examined whenever we try to do something sociological or political decisions, since they are so central to this "##$$%% world - thus it creeps into questions like "Can my Malkioni Wizard marry?", "Should I be afraid when a black cat crosses the road?" or "What nifty special magics does my character's inscrutinable-looking Teshnan get?". And since we never agree on the mythological parts, we never get down to the earthly results and so on... I sometimes get the impression most of us do not play in Glorantha, we merely rant about it on our computers....:-(

Probably an illusion created by Peter Metcalfe, wait, you were appointed Flesh man, not Trickster! Though I would have seconded the latter, but it slipped - asch!

So to answer Greybeards questions: I have three campaigns running as a GM. In two, the players are old game pals who generally meet only at christmas and summer holidays - but the old campaigns continue. Both are concerned with (yes, sigh, stereotype) Sartar. The first is more stereotype, since it concerns "resistance fighting" in Sartar. The guys there were honest farming boys and girls, however, until the occupation came - in our campaign it is still 1603, in all three campaigns by the way, and it began much earlier. Thus the players really felt it when Sartar got invaded and Boldhome was sacked - most character went from Orlanth not to Barntar, but to Humakt, desillusioned and sorrowed by the war, and it has gotten more and more bloody and more and more dark all since then - they are expecting Death Soon, and it has been an amazing perspective of how Decent People turn into Terrorists - for that is what they are becoming (But not assassins, yet It is not my fault these people have survived direct attacks against their enemies - I did my best). Their recent plans concerns getting refugees back to Sartar to fight the good fight.

The second sartarite campaign is also concerned with Sartar, as mentioned, but the characters are all "normal" people - though "abnormal" in that they are not decent Carls, but instead people on the cottar level, a bunch of low entertainers and low crafters, with a butcher and gelder of cattle being the head honcho. They travel along and try not to get involved in too many clan wars, not being thrown out by people who sometimes forgets the rules of hospitality during these bad times, and facing the normal racial prejudices, since one of them happens to be a duck (they were Lismelders originally). The campaign "theme" to use a fancy term used by White Wolf & Co has actually been very PC: tolerance, good tolerance - something that never appears in RQ stories, by the way. Everyone who is the least bit accepting of other people are usually also messing with things men was not meant to know (Godlearners, Lunars, Illuminates...) and ending up badly....

The third campaign has only recently started, and takes place in an Esrolia heavily based on the discussions of this illustrious net. The characters are a noble family with dependants, having to cope with being moved by their clanmistress from their former land to a small island in Choralinthor bay. Only one "scenario" has been finished so far...

Well, was that REALLY what Greybeard was interested in? If not, I have some Malkioni ideas to add to the "what shall we do with a bachelor wizard?" theme. Hey, one could even be concerned folklore!

Erik