DH Farmers, Praxians, Monkeys, Dolphins

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 94 13:53:00 PST

Erik Sievrin muses:

> What about governmental magics?

Imagine a "Balance Budget" spell!

DH FARMERS
>Dara Happan farmers? I got the impression Dara Happan is a city culture.=20

I picture them much like Sumerians - practicing agriculture with complex irrigation systems and scads of Lodril worshipping peasants. Cities are the domain of nobles, merchants, soldiers, and carefully licensed furriners.  Cities are where all _written_ and Yelmic cultural events occur, but lots of cultural stuff happens in the countryside - mostly Lodrili revels. (I wonder if many Yelmites or Dendarans ever try to sneak into Lodril celebrations?)

SEATTLE GAMES: Praxians

David had a good list of our RQ games, but I'd like to add my Praxian campaign. The Bison riders finally found their white bison calf (they actually traded some other bison and a PC for it!) Now they are at Duke Raus', about to rescue his daughter. One of the NPC's, a Yelmie, will be killed by the Tuskers. Maybe I can convince them to go on a mini-lightbringer quest to ressurect him, going down through the Horngate.   Anybody know what's down there?

 I have noticed that most of the published material is geared to playing Orlanthi - even in Prax. There's lots of published stuff for Sun Domers, too (I'd love to run them through Gaumata's vision...), but I can't find much published for rabid, unwashed Bison riders. (For now, I'm looking at published scenarios because Glorantha is still new to me.)

MONKEY HSUNCHEON Andrew Bean's thought on Gloranthan human origins got me thinking: Are there monkeys or apes in Glorantha? Are there monkey Hsuncheon? How do non-monkey hsuncheon reguard monkeys? For that matter, does anybody know how RW non-westerners (those to whom the Word of Darwin has not been revealed) view monkeys?

FRESHWATER BEASTIES A while ago Harald Smith asked for riverine animal ideas. How about freshwater dolphins, or small whales like the beluga or narwhal? Small whales occasionally swim up rivers (the St. Lawrence, the Rhine), and the Amazon, Ganges, Indus and some lakes in China all have their own species of freshwater dolphin. Imagine what fun you could have with an NPC who had an orca-like critter for an allied spirit!

Pam