Old Age and Life Expectancy

From: R. Andrew Bean <ABEAN_at_GEEL.DWT.CSIRO.AU>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 13:38:29 +1100 (EST)

Lewis said,

etc.
Rather than debate the valididity of statistical measures I would just like to say that I agree with all the reasons Lewis listed. But if you look at 7) you'll see that my main point is still valid.

There just aren't too many old people around as you have to be pretty fortunate to miss out on all the bad things that can happen in ancient life. Therefore being old means you're something special and probably due a lot of respect, etc.. [unless you own a black cat in which case you are a witch, of course :-). Burn the witch. Burn the witch!!]

No more than any other statistical measure. It is all in how you interpret these things. (Sorry, 2nd year statistics course rears its ugly head)

Cheers, Andrew