campaigns

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 11:36:00 -0500

My group has been involved in a long-running campaign that started out based on the old "Borderlands" pack and has lasted long enough to be updated by the "River of Cradles" and "Sun County" packs.

The players are at a variety of experience levels. (There have been occasional deaths and retirements that have necessitated replacements amongst the "Reavers of Ronegarth".) While the team has acquired quite a reputation throughout the Zola Fel valley and much of Prax as deadly warriors, they have actually spent much of their time avoiding combat and dabbling in local politics. The result of their loyal work for Duke Raus has been to establish a treaty of mutual aid with Sun County, friendly relations with the priestesses of the Paps, and win respect from most of the nomad tribes (they are still have trouble with the Impala nation).

The campaign operates at a very non-heroic level. There are no rune-levels in the party and there have been no real hero-quests. There have been a few contacts with divine or semi-divine beings which have generally left the party shitting their armoured trousers.

That campaign has been temporarily set aside in favour of a new project.

The current campaign is based in Sartar (though it may go on the road) just after Starbrow's rebellion. The players are all young members (about 20 years old or younger) of the Cinsina tribe who participated in the rebellion. The action started off with them trying to get home after the peace was declared. Now that they are home they are going to be enmeshed in the tribal politics for a bit. There are relations with tribal neighbours to be sorted out and a new king to be elected.

We run our campaign on a sort of communal basis. I'm the primary GameMaster so I always have to have some sort of action planned out; but whenever one of the other players has an urge to run an adventure then I turn the controls over to them and get my character out. This can get very strange when their conception of the world is radically different from my own. Having to rationalize the differences in the overall narrative is an interesting exercise.