EWF

From: Scott Johnson <ScottJ_at_pageahead.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 94 14:14:00 PST

I am forwarding this message from Jeff Richard to the Glorantha list. If you want to comment to Jeff directly, you can reach him at Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov.

>EWF:

>I am puzzled by your belief that the EWF wasn't particularly draconic. I
don't
>see what you gain by this, and am rather attached to what we lose. They had
>armies of half-human half-draconic creatures; true dragons; even the mighty

Su
>Dragon itself. More than you'd expect from a mere "cabal". Though if you'd
say
>the Roman Empire was run by a cabal on a hilltop in Rome, then I'll concede

>your terms. Have you read the Glorantha Book (G:CHW) or "King of Sartar"
for
>accounts of the EWF?

     OK perhaps my terminology was not as precise as it should have been. In

my interpretation of the EWF (and unfortunately, like many things, it was developed before I read KoS) I've always granted that the leadership of the Empire was draconic, but at the same time I envisioned that leadership group

as being numerically quite small and culturally quite distinct from the subject population. Who needs hordes of converts to the Dragon Way when you have Dragons, Dragonnewts and other draconic creatures as your allies?

     Beyond a small handful of apparantly contradicting stories (did Rostand

the Speaker or did Vistikos Left-eye found the EWF? or somebody else?), there isn't a whole lot to go on about the EWF. Given the collapse of the Empire followed by the Dragonkill War, what little history exists remains about the EWF was composed by individuals that I doubt had much sympathy for

the Empire.

     Actually, my ongoing curiosity for the EWF has another underlying question: just what exactly are True Dragons?

Ramble on,

Jeff Richard

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #36