Re: Humakti philosophy

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 02:24:49 -0500 (EST)

Donald Walli asks about Humakti philosophy. I think it's important to remember where Humakt came from. Humakt came from the west. Not only is the west the realm of death (because the sun sets there, naturally) but it's also the realm of lords and wizards and knights and farmers. The west is the home of the great caste systems. And the particular caste system that I believe spawned the Humakt cult in its Sartarite form was that of Carmania. Carmanian hazars (knights) are supposed to be weapons in the hand of their rulers. As it is with hazars, so it is with Humakti. That is why Humakt is the cult of mercenaries. The cult was founded by a caste of mercenaries, and took its current form in order to perpetuate and strengthen the caste and its lifestyle. Humakti obey their rulers because it is their place to obey, and because it is the rulers' place to command. Their only problem is how to determine which rulers are worthy of command, since there's not a strictly enforced caste system to say who's worthy and who isn't, and that's a tough nut to crack, for me no less than anyone.