Calender propoganda...

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 12:07:40 +1300

T. Minas:

> As for Simon Hibbs comment re "this silly calender" referring to year 1
>etc, and enquiring whose calender it is. The answer is taht it is pretty much
>everyones, except the Lunars (and even they acknowledge its validity), since
>it is based on a universal event, the Ascendence of The Sun on the start of
>its daily migration through Hell and the Sky etc. The Malkioni use this
>calender, and they are really into Theist constructs as we all know! <G>

Only the Orlanthi actually use the Solara Tempora calender, IMO. After all it carries the implication that the World was 'fixed' at the dawn and we know this is not true. After all the Horse Nomads were ruling in Dara Happa at the time of the supposed dawn, which is such an unjust situation that it cannot be mythically True.

The Kralori use one which has been in existance for five million generations. The Westerners used to use the Solara Tempora Calender in the God Learner Era but I feel they would have reverted to the Time Count of the Red Sands in a rejection of the pagan imports of the God Learners. The major reason why the Lunars appear to use the ST calender is that in Prax and Pavis, most of the Lunars are Tarshites who used the calender. The Lunars of the Heartlands use Pletonius's Calender. The Wane calender seems to be a Lunar missionary propganda device to emphasize the worship of the Red Moon among the Theyalan barbarians (even if as Nick says they are hairy and smelly). I have a feeling, it was derived from the Computations of the Buserium of Yuthuppa in order to calculate the placements of the new Lunar Temples.

The Mostali would date their calender by cosmic revolutions but IMO can only date events with accuracy back to the destruction of the Spike. If the Fonritians use an indigenously derived calender, they would base it on the Artmali Empire, but what this looks like, I have no idea.