(Yu-)Kargzant and the Rice Mother.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 94 22:43:56 GMT

David Dunham gets another Splitting Sun Headache:
> I don't believe that Yu-kargzant is necessarily identical to Kargzant. I'm
> still trying to come up with a myth that explains how Kargzant was
> transformed by his rescue of Yelm from Hell and became Yu-kargzant (which
> literally, in some Pelorian language, means God-kargzant).

I think it connotes something more like "Kargzant Above", as presumably opposed to the "Kargzant Jazzing About All Over The Place" of before the Dawn. Or it could simply be a kind of portmanteau, combining Y(u)-elm with the previous name.

The Dara Happan (?) word for God seems to be "Yuthu", judging by the small number of examples in GRAY, though the two (Yu, Yuthu) are obviously connected.

Loren Miller on the Rice Mother:
> I tend to believe that no matter what people call the local goddess of
> the land, whether they call her a grain goddess or rice goddess or
> ernalda or dendara or whatever (even gorgorma or Gon Xi) she is fully
> capable of aiding or hindering *any* cultivated vegetation.

But evidently, the Rice Mother _isn't_ the local Grain Goddess, which GoG assures us is Krala. There's no very clear information about their relationship, though I'd suspect Krala was the more overtly agricultural, with the Rice Mother being a rather vaguer, "social" goddess of the peasants, based on the other things she's creditted with.

Alex.