Arcos and Alex...

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 16:36:37 +1300

Harald Smith:

Writes on Seasonal impacts on the Elf Sea and Arcos Valley

>Thinking about the river valley led me to wonder about the annual lifecycle
>of the Arcos River. This is what I picture:
>a tremendous
>flood occurs on an annual basis throughout the Arcos Valley making traffic
>across the river or upriver virtually impossible without river magics;

Joerg has actually hupothesized (based on flood patterns in Deutschland, last january), that the flooding in Dara Happa and perhaps the Arcos valley is actually caused by the southern snows melting before the pack Ice in the White Sea does. This creates a flood as the river has nowhere else to go...

>Cities--the old maps of the Lunar Empire in Dragon Pass/WF show two cities
>along the Arcos Valley, Poralals (the southern of the two borders the
>Garsting region) and Darjeeb (the northern of the two lies within Jarst).

There appears to be a third city, Molari-Slor. In KoS, Greg shows it as lying just outside the borders of the Lunar Empire even though the ruling clan after the Night of Horrors is the Molari-Slor. Based on readings of KoS and the Hon-eels Wane Chronicle, I'm pretty sure that Molari-Slor City is near the Nights of Horrors. It seems that after the battle Lunar control beyond Molari-Slor was lost as the city quickly became a shadow of its former self. This is due to the aftereffects of the Spells of Moonson and the Orathorni. Thus there is a possible haunting ground here of incredibly nasty creatures. The only question is that if the Molari-Slor were the governers of the city, that bears their name before the Nights of Horrors, how the hell did they survive in sufficient numbers to dominate the Oraya sultannate after the War?

Alex:

Trying to help David Dunham with Yu?-Kargzant.

>I think it connotes something more like "Kargzant Above", as presumably
>opposed to the "Kargzant Jazzing About All Over The Place" of before the
>Dawn. Or it could simply be a kind of portmanteau, combining Y(u)-elm
>with the previous name.

Yu-kargzant is only mentioned in the CHDP so I think the name is confined to Dragon pass. I don't know what the Pentans call their god. The Lunars called him Golden Bow (because of the Golden Bows the Jardans had in Combat). I'm thinking that the Pentans now feel they worship Yelm as revealed by kargzant/Golden Bow whereas the Grazers hold fast to their ancient traditions and insist that Kargzant is the sun.

Replying to Loren Miller.

>But evidently, the Rice Mother _isn't_ the local Grain Goddess, which
>GoG assures us is Krala. There's no very clear information about their
>relationship, though I'd suspect Krala was the more overtly agricultural,
>with the Rice Mother being a rather vaguer, "social" goddess of the
>peasants, based on the other things she's creditted with.

I think Krala is the Land Goddess (despite what GoG says) and the Rice Mother is the Grain Goddess of Rice. Given Krala's relative lack of importance compared to Dendara^H^H^H^H Den Xi and the Rice Mother, I believe that Krala is actually a diety of the Shan Shan Hsunchen.

>Does anyone
>recall a published set of maps showing the direction and intensity
>of Gloranthan weather systems?

If it was based on Elder Secrets than it's probably obslete. Compare wind directions in River of Cradles to that supposed to occur according to the God Learners. Any theories as to what happened?

>I'm sure I saw these someplace, but
>I'll be blowed if I can find 'em. Maybe I'm thinking of ocean currents
>instead, but I can't find that, either.

Ocean currents are shown to some extent in the Sea issue of ToTRM#10.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #42