Re: Lion Things

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 17:10:24 +0800

>From: Greybeard_at_nochet.demon.co.uk (Greybeard)
>In message <CMM.0.90.4.786312559.f6ri_at_quads.uchicago.edu> charles gregory
>fried writes:
>
>_at_ Indeed -- maybe Basmol ISN'T dead, but Tada did skin him nonetheless. Such a
>
>Basmola isn't dead but the Rider (Tada/Waha/others) ambushed her with the
>help of the Morokanth and ripped from her her sinews.

        I am pretty sure that Tada is not any sort of Rider. At least, there are no records of him riding, but there are records of him walking using his magic sandals (which still exist in Prax, and are one of the great treasures). Also, Tada predates Waha and the survival covenant.

        I also have to again point out that while I have no particular problem with the existence of Basmola, I certainly think that the male Basmol does exist and is a part of the Basmoli religion. The classic Basmoli Berserker is much more like a male lion (who fights for dominance) than a female (who fights for food), and from Sandy we know that the Basmoli favour dreadlocks, which I think is an obvious attempt at emulating a mane. Also, I like the idea that the troublesome young males are cast out of the tribe and so roam around causing trouble.

        It is even plausible that a female version (who concentrates on hunting) is more important within the prides, but the Basmoli that PCs are most likely to meet identify more with the male side.

        I probably shouldn't mention that the Basmoli not only have dreadlocks, but include hazia use religiously, and have an unusual and distinctive mode of speech...... :-)

>- --
>Greybeard

        Cheers
                Dave