Cults or Gods?; calendar

From: via RadioMail <David>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 10:29:13 -0800

>From: "T.J.Minas" <T.J.Minas_at_soton.ac.uk>
>Colin Watson says" The gods exist via their cults". Sorry, must disagree, there
>are a number of Major deities whose existence is vital to the existence of
>Glorantha ...

Well, you're sorta right, but there are also cults that don't have gods -- Basmol is dead, frex.

> As for Simon Hibbs comment re "this silly calender" referring to year 1 etc,
>and enquiring whose calender it is. The answer is taht it is pretty much
>everyones, except the Lunars (and even they acknowledge its validity), since it
>is based on a universal event, the Ascendence of The Sun on the start of its
>daily migration through Hell and the Sky etc. The Malkioni use this calender,
>and they are really into Theist constructs as we all know! <G>

In my Ralios campaign, a Lhankor Mhy seer could perhaps tell you the date using that calendar (perhaps off by a year or two). But everyone else uses a far more useful calendar, one that both lets you remember stuff and tells you handy information. In Belovaking lands, it's now Year 20 of Ekel Field-Destroyer. This not only lets you know that he came to power a few years after you were born, but it also tells you that people are starting to worry about his successor, since he's been in power for a long time.

[And it means the players can't tell what year they're in, when the Ban will end, etc.]

David Dunham * Software Designer * Pensee Corporation Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 * AppleLink: DDUNHAM * Internet: ddunham_at_radiomail.net

    "I say we should listen to the customers and give them what they want."     "What they want is better products for free." --Scott Adams