Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #44

From: Sven *Erik Sievrin <erisie_at_utu.fi>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 04:11:45 +0200 (EET)

Michael Hichens:
I have always had some trouble with the seemingly very civilised cities of Sartar and a countryside population that the majority of this list (including me, goddamit) like to propogate as Ultimate Clan-centered Chimney-ignorant Hackneyed Farmers Who Suspects everyone not Related to them. (better put in a smiley here :-))
Your ideas of sartar's city-craze really no fitting the needs and demands of the country, which creates larger-than-normal cities, may be useful in that aspect. But I better let some of the more careful and antropologically informed members of the list, especially since I am both stressed and tired.
What really makes me comment about this instead and lurking and see what Sandy says is your idea of the Ducks dominating the all-important trade and this being the reason for the Durulz (the politically correct term) being the target of Lunar ill-will. Since I am a major Duckophile (yea, hit me!) this interests me a great deal. The Ducks as major traders? ScroogeMcDuck? How does this affect the view of the Durulz among non-Lismelder Orlanthi? The countryside vs the cities? (The former does in no way depend on the Durulz - they may have stories about clever Ducks cheating the stuffy and stupid city-dwellers, don-t know why Nasreddin Hosha and his ass-smuggling comes to mind....) Another picture (somewhat silly, yes, but when Durulz are involved, sillyness is hard to avoid, alhough I usually try, strangely enough - I try to avoid Donald Duck paralells, for instance) that flutter by is that of Isaac of York- lookalike Durulz that gets persecuted by nasty human rulers, and try to support the return of a "true" heir instead of that sissy Temertain the Pretender... "The Phony King of Sartar"....how is it that themesong from Disney's Robin Hood goes again......? my English is slipping, I'd better quit now....