Re: Only Old One

From: Shannon Appel <appel_at_erzo.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 1994 22:00:30 -0800

>Can someone tell me where the most complete information on the Only Old One
>and the Kingdom of Darkness is to be found? A friend of mine, who will be in
>the Osentalka LARP, will be playing a Heortling loyal to the Only Old One,
>but he doesn't know anything about all this, and would like some informed
>background. If someone would be so generous as to sketch out the basic
>features of the OOO and relations with outlying humans, I would also send
>that on to him.

Well, the most complete information on the Only Old One and the Kingdom of Night (aka the Shadowlands) is naturally on The Only Old One's character sheet for the LARP. But seriously, I suggest the following sources of information:

	RuneQuest Companion, pg 16-25 (esp. the first 4 or so) Best Source.
	Trollpak: Uz Lore, pg 12-17.  Scattered.
	Troll Gods: Troll Cults Book, pg 17.

Quick Sketch: The Only Old One is the son of Argan Argar, and he has ruled Kethaela since long before the Dawn. At the end of the Darkness, the trolls are very powerful, and the Only Old One is no exception. His kingdom covers Kethaela, Kerofinela and Dagori Inkarth. The lords of the various peoples of those lands swear loyalty to the Only Old One, but are still allowed to rule somewhat independently, and still worship their old gods.

BTW, information on the Heortlings during this period is in King of Sartar, pg 89-92.

Shannon

PS: Everyone in the Broken Council should at this point have received initial notification of their characters. If you haven't, drop me a line.