Campaign, GrandFather Immortal, Gloranthan Population Bomb

From: Captain Button <button_at_io.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 21:51:21 -0600 (CST)

  Just a few items from Nysalor's refuge...

Campaign news

  My campaign just started. I am running "Troubled Waters" from RoC. I am using Pendragon Pass. I had to kit-bash a Tiger Hsunchen Kralorean martial artist together at the last minute for one player.

  Now another player wants a snake hsunchen, if there is such a thing. Is there? Save on all those tiresome
"Transform Limb" spells ... :-)

GrandFather Immortal

  Various people have speculated on what happens if you Heroquest to stop Humakt from killing Grandfather Mortal.

 I disagree with the idea that the world would change so that no one had ever died. The whole *point* of Time, IMHO, was to prevent this kind of gratuitous mucking about with reality. Anyone who died during Time is dead. If you HQ to resurrect someone, they still _were_ dead, even if they aren't anymore.

  So what _does_ happen? My humble submission: You become Immortal. We know that it is possible to become Immortal, because there have been a number of such people about for a long time - many centuries, in fact.

  "Deeper" HQs might confer this benefit to a larger group like your family, cult, clan or race. But it would only help those alive or not yet born when you complete your HQ.

  Is this what Zzabur did for the Brithini? Or are they a special case, i.e. they duck Death by invoking a "grandfather clause".:-) :-)

  I do recall that I have seen somewhere that a method of becoming Immortal is to HQ to then very end of the Lightbringer's Quest and hitchhike along with Yelm as he returns to the Sky. But would this make you Immortal, or just alive again, but still vulnerable?

  I won't address the functional effects of Immortality, like what happens if you get ground to hamburger or dissolved in your basic archetypal Vat of Acid...

Gloranthan Population Bombs

  One thing I would bring up in the Infant Mortality / Gloranthan Population debate is to point out that History is only 1600 years old. That is only 80-100 generations. Maybe human population _has_ been growing rapidly since the Dawn, except for the occasional Age-Ending Catastrophe/War.

  In the First Age, we have the Elder Races dominating, with these new upstarts humans showing up and making trouble.

  In the Second Age, humans have grabbed the spotlight, and are waging lots of expansionistic wars.

  In the Third Age, magical barriers restrict human migration (The Closing, Syndics Ban, Exclusion of humans from Dragon Pass), and when these collapse, we now see a new round of big wars coming.

  Note that the two areas which claim longer histories, Kralorea and Dara Happa* are also noted for being the densest populated parts of Genertela.

  Mayhap Kralorean Provincial Officials have large-area
"Attain Perfection of Population" Spells?

  Awaiting Gift Carriers (Why can't they use UPS like everyone else?) :-)

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #48