Immigration, Plants and Pentans

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 1994 22:39:22 +1300

Nils W:

Nils originally wrote

I wrote:
>>Only problem with this idea is that Kralori Sages maintain that the Rice
>>Mother was the daughter of Shavaya and Dendara, whereas the Kralori
>>immigrated during the reign of either Yelm or metsyla (who were before
>>Shavaya).

Nils replies:
>Rice Mother as daughter of Shavaya and Dendara: creative history writing?
>adoption? (Not the strongest arguments, I know).

But valid ones nevertheless :-)

>Kralori immigration during the reigns of Yelm or Metsyla: do we know
>that for a fact. If so, from what source (I'm not challenging this,
>just fishing for a source).

None whatsoever. It's just my humble opinion in trying to reconstruct the events of the Golden Age. The reign of Aether coresponds to the Green Age. Eventually Yelm comes into the picture. The Kralori say 'that when Aether dwelt here nobody else existed [beasts and elves probably don't count] so he thought several sons and peoples and then retired beyond the sky. Then begins Yelm's reign.

We know from the GRAY that the Solar people had their origins about this time. There were of course the Pelorian Clay People before then. In Kralorela the equivalent could be the Dragon people spoken of. Metsyla is IMO contemporary with (my hypothesized) Yu and Ehilm as a local governer of Yelms. Shavaya IMO came after (as did Murharzarm) Umath tore the heavens from the earth. So I think the Vithaelans arrived either Yelm's or Metsyla's time. I not going to push my model too far.

Sandy:

Peter Metcalfe:
>> I think Krala is the Land Goddess (despite what GoG says) and the
>>Rice Mother is the Grain Goddess of Rice. Given Krala's relative
>>lack of importance compared to Dendara^H^H^H^H Den Xi and the Rice
>>Mother, I believe that Krala is actually a diety of the Shan Shan
>>Hsunchen.

> Hmm. I thought that GoG made it clear that the Land Goddess
>is the _same_ as the Grain Goddess.

I know. And I am disagreeing with this definition. IMO a plant goddess is different from a land goddess. The land can have some talent for growing a special type of plant and have a myth reflecting this, but the goddess of a particular plant species is different IMO from the land goddess (Krala, Esrola, Kerofin etc). This is my pedantic opinion only. I like your comments about the distribution of worship of the Rice Mother, Den Xi and Krala.

>Alex Ferguson demonstrates that the Horse Nomads originally came from
>Peloria, not from Pent.

Actually me, Peter.

> Your arguments are pretty convincing, to me. I still think
>that there were nomads of some sort living in Pent even in the First
>Age, but no doubt the defeated peoples after Argentium Thri'ile
>overran, killed, or adopted the original Pentans. Since neither group
>had written records, there'd only be vague half-mythological
>references to the original Pent folks (candidates, anyone who knows
>more about Pentan mythology than I?)

This is what I think too. My favourite is the Cattle Hsunchen. The Horse nomads conquer the cattle people and then split up over whether to adopt pastoralism or not. Of course, I'm not that conversant in Pentan myth. Is Mark Holsworth on the digest?