Dart wars

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 11:41:00 -0500 (EST)

We have it from Sandy's keyboard that Dart Wars are characterised by secret murder, poison, assassination, and the like. Only the tax demons prevent their abuse. Presumably then if one were to destroy an entire noble house by such means, as we know has been done, then (1) the house would have to consist of only a few members, probably the direct bloodline of the house chief, and (2) either minor children do not inherit house leadership or they are appropriate targets for assassination.

Here are some questions about dart warriors to help me distinguish between dart warriors and the well-known DNDism which is most similar, the assassins' guild. I am not willing to accept an assassins' guild as reasonable in any game world, certainly not in glorantha. Since dart warriors seem, on the surface, to be remarkably similar to assassins' guilds, there must be something more to them that hasn't been revealed.

Q: If dart warriors kill children and extinguish bloodlines, as I presume they must, then would they not be much hated and reviled, and killed out of hand when revealed for what they are?

Q: I've been told by people who should know that Dart Warriors must identify themselves as such upon entering territories, and that they must pay excise fees and various tariffs. Would they not be summarily executed upon attempting to pay these fees? What noble in his or her right mind would allow a legal assassin in her area when it is well known that this assassin could be contracted to kill him or her or a member of his or her family?

Q: I've also been told by people who should know that dart warriors must wear bells on their clothing, which must be brightly colored like a clown's motley, in carmania. Same question.

Q: In a situation where the ruling noble of an area has hired dart warriors, and they walk around free in the area, would they not be targets for ambushes and assassination attempts at least as often as they originate such attempts?

Q: Do nobles use dart warriors against commoners?

Q: Do commoners use dart warriors against nobles?

Q: Where do dart warriors come from? Are they soldiers gone bad, gutter criminals, houseless noble warriors, foreign thugs, thanatari, krarshti, or what?

Q: Did any famous lunars ever start as dart warriors? I know about Harrek and he isn't a lunar, not in my book.