Re: immortality and more

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idcube.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 16:18:38 -0600

Kevin Rose:
>the Hill of Gold Heroquest [was discussed] during a seminar on
>something else. At the end of it you become immortal. what they
>meant by immortal was (roughly) 'You not only live forever, you
>cannot be killed.'
>This sounds like a question for Sandy Petersen.

        If you correctly complete the Hill of Gold heroquest, you are then immortal. Your body and soul cannot be severed. If your head is cut off, or your heart is torn out, or you are ground into hamburger, you're functionally disabled, but you're not dead yet, and if your pals can get to your variously-scattered bits of hamburger, they'll find that ordinary healing spells or even First Aid, will help cure you until they've finally got you back up to positive hit points. Of course, if they can't ever find your head (say), then healing the rest of your body won't do a hell of a lot of good. But you're _still_ alive!

        Note that dismembering an immortal is a traditionally efficacious Gloranthan method of dealing with these dudes.

Peter M.
> IMO a plant goddess is different from a land goddess. The land can
>have some talent for growing a special type of plant and have a myth
>reflecting this, but the goddess of a particular plant species is
>different IMO from the land goddess

        Let me rephrase my earlier statement. The term "Grain Goddess" as used in GoG is a synonym for "Land Goddess". A "Grain Goddess" such as Krala, Ralia, etc., is NOT the goddess of a particular species of plant, but of all useful grains grown in her territory, though she usually has one particular daughter she's especially proud of (her own plant).

        I know of at least one GL theory that held that Krala was the goddess of Rice everywhere _except_ in Kralorela, where she was the Land Goddess. Ditto for the other Land goddesses. Hence, Krala was one of the children of Seshna in Seshnela, and Seshna is one of the children of Krala in Kralorela.