Re: whitewall falls

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idcube.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 16:59:44 -0600

>the lunars are all really happy when Whitewall falls and the last
>great temple to Orlanth is captured. What does this really mean

>though, in game terms. I mean, Orlanth doesn't lose any of his
>divine magic, his priests don't lose their spell reusablility or
>anything, do they?

        Purely up to the gamemaster. If it happened in my campaign (okay, it did, but the players weren't Sartarites or in Sartar, so who cares), then I would probably inflict some kind of interesting penalty so that the players' ire (if they were Orlanthi) or their joy (if they were Lunar) would be heightened. Something like decreasing the value of Orlanthi temples.

>What are the runes for Yannafil Tarnils?

        Death, Moon, and Truth, as opposed to Humakt's Death, Truth, and Death.

>I mean, most of the Lunar Gods are just stolen Orlanthi gods, right?

        No. Yanafal Tarnils is, but Danfive Xaron, Deezola, Hon-eel the Dancer, Hwarin Dalthippa, Jakaleel the Witch, Nysalor, Red Goddess, Yara Aranis, and the Young Elementals are definitely NOT. Two other important Lunar gods, Etyries & Irrippi Ontor, are related to Orlanthi gods, but are not as derivative as Yanafal T.

>no worshippers = not god (he says, defining his terms as he goes
>along...) Might be a big spirit, or a hero, or a force of nature;
>but not god.

        I have always disliked this particular definition of "God". It reeks of the lame fantasy-novel idea that the gods "feed" off their minions' worship in some inexplicable way, and just seems too tame for a really _cool_ god. I rather prefer the notion that the gods are independent of their resources. Orlanth doesn't depend on his worshipers to exist, but he does love his minions and works hard for their weal, as would any good thane. There are any number of gods who _don't_ care about their minions. Generally, these gods don't have large cults (an obvious cause and effect), but it doesn't mean that these worshipless gods aren't still powerful -- sometimes extremely so.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #55