balazaring sun god

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 07:18:00 -0500 (EST)

As Nick mentioned, it is said that Balazar came from the northwest, which might imply Dara Happa or Imther. I tend to rule out the former. I have considered the latter before, but think it less likely since it bringing Khelmal would probably mean bringing in some of his associated deities and having stronger ties to Imther than exist.

Someone in the past offered Vanch as a source. To me, that sounds like a reasonable source, though I'm not sure what form the solar deity took in that region. But since Vanch is the location of the Hill of Gold, it seems a likely spot for Balazar to travel from. Its also possible that Balazar came from elsewhere and journeyed to the Hill of Gold to follow the heroquest path of Antirius/Elmal/Khelmal and stepped out at the wrong point onto a different path (i.e. the path of Yelmalio). This left him with a revelation or different perspective that was contradictory to that of his original companions/home culture. He travelled on to Balazar in an attempt to establish the Sun God as he now saw it.

Another possible option is for Balazar to come from Kostaddi. This region seems to have gone in and out of Dara Happan hands, but to have some other older traditions as well. Since it is also NW of Balazar, it would work along that line.

Harald