Rice Mother and Krala

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 94 18:02:44 GMT

PM Dawn himself:
> (You wanted a gift to aid you in acting
> as a bodyguard of Alex? Why would you want to do that? Surely it would be a
> curse?)

It certainly would; I bet his local Civil War recreators regard him in exactly yhis light. (I've seen his titanic dual with Ken Rolston; and I might even upload the JPEGs. }B-> Bribes to desist?)

Loren Miller apprehends said Peter Metcalfe on suspicion of misattribution:
> That wasn't me. That was Alex the tall and obstreporous Scots.

Wasn't that what he just said? (I got a whole section heading. Fame at last.) Not that I'm at all obstreperous, or I'd object to being pluralised.

> Rice Mother is a rice goddess, and
> since peasants are nothing if not industrious producers and consumers
> of rice she is also their goddess of plenty, of celebrations, of life
> and death and famine, etcetera. In other words Rice Mother is the
> peasant goddess. Krala, on the other chopstick, is the overarching
> goddess of the earth, similar to Ernalda in central Genertela. Krala
> is the wife of the ruling sun deity, she is the patroness of life and
> birth and riches and death for the non-peasant classes.

I think this is closer to what I suggested than Loren's summary of my alleged position, so I'm unsure if I should feel disagreed with or not. Though I wonder where the "ruling sun deity" snuck in.

I'll make a few tentative concrete suggestions on this pair, rather than getting too bogged down in Offences Against Rule 3.

Kra Li is regarded as the personification of the land, and its powers of growth. For the city folk, she's just an abstraction, perhaps with faintly nationalistic as well as agricultural overtones. For the peasants, she's a brooding, temperamental figure, to be propiatated as well as revered, lest she send water buffalo stampedes, drought, pernicious diseases of porcine/poultry agriculture, or head lice. (That is, she fills the same general role as the Grain Goddess and/or Six Earths elsewhere.) Her main relationship with rice is that it grows well on her land, and there's a lot of grown there.

The Rice Mother is just a Quaint Superstition to the townies, while for the peasants, she's the goddess who "invented" rice, taught women how to plant it, thought up the Six hundred and Sixty Six Sacred Serving Suggestions, and all that other vital peasantly stuff. While many of the magic, skills and knowledge she teaches are of an agricultural bent, she's not an earth goddess as such. The significance of rice to her is that of a mainstay of peasant life, rather than Plant for Plant's sake.

Alex.