A familiar question.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 94 19:49:14 GMT

While the basic tenets of Western sorcery are up for grabs, what do people think about Malkioni attitudes to familiars? Do they, in particular the theologically pure types, use familiars, and if so, of what sort? Animal familiars seem incongruous, while binding a spirit for the purpose would be positively necromantic. The SiP idea of "mechanical" familiars is plausible, but can hardly be the norm.

I'm not even convinced the use of familiars exists in Western sorcery, and I certainly don't think it's the norm. If this is so, how best to fit the sorcery rules in with this, where creating a familiar is pretty much de rigeur? The following all occur: Punt completely; integrate into "Vessel" rules; institute tradeoffs sufficient that most wizards don't bother with them, either directly magical, or social and religious pressures.

I'd go for the second option, myself; creating both familiars and vessels seems to be very much a form of enchanterous tool-making, whatever added religious, mystical or philosophical spin the users put on them. Slap 'em together, say I.

Alderman Pat, Alderman Pat, Alderman Pat and his black and white cat... Alex.