Scottish Dawn...

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 1994 21:03:43 +1300

Alex:

>PM Dawn himself:

umm? 'Dawn'? I'm not familiar with this particular scottish idion (although lord knows I do try to be - I watch Taggart whenever I can!). I take it's a highlander corr^H^H^H^H basta^H^H^H^H^H alternative pronouciation of some common english verb but I can't figure out what it is!

To which Alex said amongst other things:

>Though I wonder where the "ruling sun deity" snuck in.

Probably with the God Learners who imported and bastardized Ehilm and/or Sheng Seleris whose absense in the Kralorela writeup is a bit too suspicious for my tastes.

>While the basic tenets of Western sorcery are up for grabs, what do
>people think about Malkioni attitudes to familiars? Do they, in
>particular the theologically pure types, use familiars, and if so, of
>what sort? Animal familiars seem incongruous, while binding a spirit
>for the purpose would be positively necromantic. The SiP idea of
>"mechanical" familiars is plausible, but can hardly be the norm.

>I'm not even convinced the use of familiars exists in Western sorcery,
>and I certainly don't think it's the norm.

This thread has come up before. I was just about to weigh into it when the Black Hole of New Zeland struck. Come to think of it, I haven't seen Mike on this mailing list so far...

Oh well, into the thread, I posited that it was a magical tradition invented by the Fonritians (given their enthusiam for enslaving anything that's cute and several things that aren't). However given the history of the God Learners and Fonrit (A Select Cabal dominated Fonrit and kept it independant of the Middle Sea Empire), this seems unlikely.

My current theory is that it's a Vadeli Thing. When Hrestol preached Joy of the Heart, several Wizards found the excuse to practice old plundered Vadeli spells that they had and so spread the technique around. Certain conservative diehards may oppose familiars on the grounds that it leads to Tapping, Incest and baby eating as a result. I'll be quite interested in hearing any justifications anybody has about Familars in a Malkioni society.