Balazar's God

From: Nick Eden <pheasant_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 94 11:47 GMT

"In reference to your thread in Digest#56.

I disagree with your thinking that Yelm cannot be introduced to a populace.

        To worship Yelm one must be descended from him. His cult does not
        colonise new lands. It seems to me very out of keeping that a
Yelmite noble would go out into the wilderness to marry barbarians.

I'll discuss your message as it goes:

        "I find in it lots of references to Yelmalio. Balazar, the founder, at least of the Citaedel culture, is said to have introduced the religion in about 1050, before dying as a member of the Golden Horde."

     (Without going back into the Elmal/Yelmalio debate.)IMO, I believe that Yelmalio is either 1) a watered down version of Antirius (without the membership restrictions), or 2) An actual son of Yelm that specializes in War and FRontier settlement for the Solar panrheon. My basis for this is the lack of a "war" god for the common soldier for the solar pantheon and most importantly, the lack of a god which follows the ways of Yelm. Remember that the only way to get into the Yelm cult is to either be
"born" into it or achieve preisthood in an associated cult and get
accepted. Can you imagine all the new Yelmists being from eithert Lodril or Dendara or even Chalana Arroy. Yelmalio seems to me to be a great cult for young males who want to someday belong to the cult of the Sun, especailly due to numerous geasa at the rune levels.

"Except that we now know that this can't be true."
  You contradict yourself next by saying.

"Balazar came from the North West to the land that now bears his name.
That sujests Dara Happa or Imther."

   This would suggest he was a Yelmite, being a noble (we can assume) from Dara Happa.

        It can't be true becuase Yelmalio does not exist as a Dara Haparn
        god. When the Pelorians and Dara Happans hear about Yelmalio they
        all go 'who?'. There isn't a place for him in their society.
        Polestar serves as captain of Yelm's guard (and Light in the
        Darkness - has this been explored?) and I assume that non-noble
        professional soldiers would worship him. Levies will still follow
        Lodril of course.
        War isn't as important to the civilised Dara Happans as it is to
        barbarians and so the war god is a less important.

" We know that he can't have introduced Yelm to the country, cos you just
don't introduce Yelm to a culture."

   Every culture worships the sun in some form. Again the general populouswould not qualify to be initiates but remember Balazar set up lineages of his sons (and a daughter??) who would qualify to be members. Also Yelm is the ruling class god, which would not neccessitate the need to convert the whole population.

        There is a huge difference between worshipping a sun and Yelm.

"We know that Yelmalio doesn't exist in Dara Happa, though I guess Khelmal
 is an option."

    I addressed this earlier. (need for a war god etc.)

        I replied

"What do you reckon? Who do the citaedel Balazarings worship?"

         If you take the history of the area, and the LOW population numbers of the natives, combined with the eventual induction of tribal nobility, their proliferation, and the intermarriage of the Balazar with the Votanki, eventually all the citizens would have some claim on membership rights.
 Although I believe that the Dara Happan would freak at this debased version of their beloved emperor. ( Also remember that when Grif MTn was published their was no write-up of the Yelm cult and the reprint Griffen Island uses the god Hilme ( to me a corruption of Yelm) who possess ressurection and the aforementioned membership restrictions.

        There was the Wyrms Footnotes version, which while not listing
        Rune Magic gave a pretty good explanation of the social structure
        of Yelmite society.
        Since Greg Stafford did a lot of re-working of GM I assume that
had     he thought that they worshipped Yelm he would have said so.
        I never like Hilme. Apart from anything else he sounds too much
        like Himile, father of cold, for me too be able to keep them
separate.

" A debased Pole Star might be an option. In any case it won't greatly
resemble the cult from a civilised area like DH, or even Sartar."

   I don't believe Pole Star has made it to Sartar yet (with the exception of the Lunar Army.) But i do hope for the long-awaited write-up.

        I suspect that Pole Star is rather like Yemalio, save that
        Yelmalio is the dominant god in his culture, and Pole Star is a
        servant. Both of them are into Spears etc. Pole Star does seem to
        have the Elmal, light in darkness, protector of the hearth
business.

Of course this is just my opinion.

        And your opinion is welcomed (if not actually shared)

Keith E. Smith

        And Nick Eden

Also