Antirius again! Time is cyclical...

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 14:55:25 +1300

Nick Eden:

> I suspect that Pole Star is rather like Yemalio, save that
> Yelmalio is the dominant god in his culture, and Pole Star is a
> servant. Both of them are into Spears etc. Pole Star does seem to
> have the Elmal, light in darkness, protector of the hearth
> business.

Knowing a wee bit more about Pole Star, He shares the same disdain as do most sky gods for things earthly. He does not fight but issues commands and lets the lesser war gods stain themselves with the actual fighting.

I also suspect that the much vaunted Lunar magic battalions are a rehash of Ancient Dara Happan ceremonial rituals. In such a case, the Polaris Priest would be co-ordinating the priests.

Martin Crim:

> The elves of central Genertela clearly worship a god whom
>all agree is the same as Yelmalio, although the elves have a
>different name for him: Hurril. Hurril teaches the Sunripen
>divine spell (as per Yelm). Hurril's associates are Aldrya,
>Arroin, Flamal (Bear Fruit), Vrimak, and Yelm (who provides Fight
>Disease). Hurril's gifts are oriented toward elvish skills and
>needs. His geases relate to symbolic avoidances (such as not
>drinking Calfonilla tea) and relations with humans and animals.

Sounds Good, but why does Hurril feel a need to be assoicated with Vrimak? Birds may live in the jungle but so do other species and Hurril isn't associated with them.

>Hurril does not have any geases relating to eating meat,
>celibacy, or relations with elves, dwarves, horses, or trolls.

*No* Geases for Relationships with Dwarves and Trolls? I would have different ones for an Elf Sun God.

> For game purposes, though, I suggest using the Yelm cult as
>a model for Antirius, rather than the Yelmalio cult. This has
>mythical justification from Antirius' supposed origin in the
>disintegration of Yelm.

I am unsure whether Antirius is still worshipped as a seperate god in Dara Happa today. IMO he has been subsumed by the Yelm Cult and is viewed as an emanation from Yelm.

If Antirius was worshipped today, IMO, this would be a Dara Happan identification of the native sun cults that exist all over the place. For example, lets consider Rinliddi. At the dawn, their chief god was Vrimak and so they may have viewed the rising sun as the Eagle himself in full glory, rising up from the Land of the Talking Birds and setting in the west.

The Dara Happans come onto the scene and say 'Ah! This Vrimak whom the Rinliddi call the sun is really our noble Antirius who has taken the form of an eagle to teach these benightened ones the virtues of Divine Order.' They then write home and say 'Antirius is worshipped in Rinliddi as an eagle'. Dara Happa does little to correct the misconceptions of the Rinliddi saying 'Antirius will manifest himself in full glory over time'.

Now various Dara Happan practices will infuse Rinliddi (cf the influence of Dara Happa over Elmal). Over time, the Dara Happans expect the worship of the Sun in Rinliddi to eventually resemble a Dara Happan Cult with the people calling it Antirius. If they are extremely pure, they might progress to Yelm...

>Rather than Resurrect, Antirius provides
>the spell of Divine Justice. This spell is similar to divination,
>except that it gives the caster not only the correct finding but
>also the appropriate judgment to be made. It requires an ordeal
>of hot coals held in the hand by the accused or plaintiff.

You forget the Dara happan concept as elucidated by Pletonius is 'Denseb' or 'Divine Order'. Although this was translated by Pletonius as Justice, in _my_ opinion Imperium is a better word. Antirius is the Bringer of the Divine Order, the Perfect reign of the Sky. He creates the order of correct worship (and consequently government - cf Antirius's persuausion of Anaxial to try the ten tests) not dispensing criminal justice.

and on a lighter note...

>A Khelmal cultist must go through a short initiation ceremony
>(without sacrificing a point of POW) to worship at a Yelmalio
>temple, and vice versa.

An initation ceremony? A better term would be a purification rite (aka a good sound thrashing) to drive out the unclean elements incurred by practicing heathen rites.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #61