martin's suns

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 07:50:00 -0500 (EST)

Hurril: I have no problem with this as the elf sun's name as opposed to Yelmalio. I place the difference as a matter of translation. Hurril may mean something like 'light bringer'.
Shannon suggests that the elves view water, light, and earth as life givers and fire, stone, and darkness as life takers. Personally, I don't think the elves (if viewed as plant tenders) would view fire and darkness as necessarily bad or evil or even as life takers. I think their myths might view these as the forces of regeneration--necessary for the transformation of the forest. Of course, these aspects would be closely controlled by the Elf Council since too much transformation may result in stone--the absence of life.
I also do not see why Vrimak would be an associate unless there is some myth about the two providing mutual aid--the trees shelter the bird father while the bird father watches from afar for danger to the trees?

Antirius: I definitely think that Antirius has a strong sense of both divine order and justice--the divine order is just and the divine justice is orderly. Giving Antirius (who IMO is worshipped) a spell along those lines sounds correct (though a divination-type spell doesn't). If you were using Pendragon-style traits, then such a spell would raise the Just trait to its maximum. Perhaps the RQ equivalent would be Lawspeaking or Orate though no lies could be presented as part of such.

Surio: Why not Sun Hawk? Based on Nomad Gods, I would think that most Praxian tribes (except the Ostrich riders?) would view this member of the 3 Feathered Rivals as the true sun who rose at the Dawn after recovering the fire which Yamsur dropped when he died. This would provide a nice tension with the Sun County folk too ('Sun Hawk travels as we do--why do you not follow the sun too? Why do you stop and sit and grow things?)

I think the two have enough connections that it would be more like a season or a year of proper study to convince the priests that you correctly understood the dogma and rituals.

Now when an Orlantio trickster comes before an Orlanthi king ...

Harald