Trivia, Antirius, Sacred Time

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 94 08:16:00 PST

TRIVIA
I'm an environmental analyst. (Hey - NOT a computer person!) I do everything from sticking buckets under pipes, running lab tests, and writing reports on the health of river systems.

I run RQ 2 - 4 in Glorantha. I like Glorantha because it has lots of really funky monsters and magic stuff (walktapi, trolls, werewolves), that all have a _reason_ for being the way they are. In short - a good mythological base. And the conflicting cultures provide lots of grey areas.

YELMALIO & ANTIRIUS
Shannon writes that the elven Yelmalio doesn' t have fire abilities because fire is unpleasant to plants. I like it!

Martin - I liked your Yelmalio synopsis for Codex. It seems as valid a summary as any, and hard to find much fault with. USEFUL too!

Ian Gorlick is "a bit confused about the cult of Antirius." I had the impression that Antirius was killed at the Hill of Gold, therefore I assumed he had no cult. Was he resurrected later?

According to DHBE (could just be bad editing by ancient scholars), Antirius went to the HoG _twice_. The first time he went to aid a human emperor and got beat up for his troubles. The second time, the emperor let Antirius down, so poor ol' Antirius had to go again, already weakened, knowing he was going to get plastered. Antirius was killed the second time, but was resurrected as part of Yelm. I find the sacrifice aspect of Antirius interesting - he was let down by the emperors, but he still did what was right. Very Yelmic.
I imagine Antirius is still worshipped in Dara Happa as a sub-cult of Yelm - kind of like the "patron saint" of justice. Statues of him probably stand in court rooms.

SACRED TIME
BTW - Did anyone catch any real-word Sacred Time activity this past weekend?  During church last Sunday I watched children frolic about in sheep, shephard, and king costumes, and sang all the Christmas hymns with everybody else at the approriate points in the story. I finally realized what sacred time (and church) is all about - reenacting the myths to make them come true again, even if only in everyone's hearts. The details of what actually happened aren't as important as what you do with the lessons.

Gloranthan sacred time activities probably involve everyone in the community. Children actively participate in the safer ceremonies so they can learn all the proper rituals.

Oooh - caffeine rush idea -
 Has anyone ever considered the importance of all those little rhyming and chanting games children play and teach to each other, but adults all forget?  Voria could have secret powers, forgotten and overlooked by the priestesses and the godis....

Pam