Elves and Antirian Justice

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 13:24:54 +1300

Martin Crim:

>As I remarked several months ago when an earlier version of this
>article appeared, there is no discernable root for Sun in the elf
>names in ES. That is, unless the language has some
>transformations that put Cymric to shame. Compare Lowin
>(Sunshine) with Seomale (Sun Follower).

I think that Green Elves prefer to use some words and brown elves another to describe a certain situation. For instance, we have two words for Heartwood 'Penacyr' and 'Cenor', both from ES. I tried to have a go at lingusitics but, alas too small a sample.

>Generally agree with Mr. Metcalfe about the local gods, & stuff.
>Another possibility is the Amon Ra (or Chalana Arroy) type
>composite.

Perhaps an evolution to an 'Amon Ra' was developing among the Antirian Cults of South Peloria? Given this I could see a reason why the Lunars chose to impose a staunchly independant Yelmalio cult.

>>You forget the Dara happan concept as elucidated by Pletonius is
>>'Denseb' or 'Divine Order'...
>>Antirius is the Bringer of the Divine Order, the Perfect reign
>>of the Sky. He creates the order of correct worship (and
>>consequently government - cf Antirius's persuausion of Anaxial
>>to try the ten tests) not dispensing criminal justice.

>You'll have to be more specific than what you say here, as Denseb
>is not in the index to Glorious Reascent

My apologies. Page 5 of the GRAY, footnote 7 (2nd edition) 'Justice. So called, but literally Denseb, "Measured Command of Above," or Divine Order. It may not be in the first edition and the word does not appear in the index or glossary in my edition.

>Any hoo, you can't have divine order after divine
>disorder (which is when Antirius came to the fore) without some
>way of judging.

This is true and I would postulate something equivalent to the Orlanth Rex spell of Detect Honor, except that the 'spell' measures how viturous a person is as compared to others. (Virtue is what the GRAY calls Aethericity [describing Manarlavus p30] - I would treat it as being a measure of the total number of runespells one has to a sky cult). Such a spell would be used to see who is most fit to hold such a post.

>Note that the Divine Justice spell does not
>single out criminal cases (if that distinction is even known in
>Dara Happan law--ours is derived largely from the medieval
>English notion of the King's Peace, under which bad acts in the
>King's presence were an offense against him).

In Dara Happa, the Law Courts wasn't really extended to the commoners until the Red Emperor established the Base Judges (detail from the Dara Happan Book of Emperors). Before that, I suspect social wrongs and criminal complaints was dealt out by the Mob or a class of commoners known as Electors (GRAY p43). The Electors, I have a feeling were godfather-type figures (albeit legitimate) who were acclaimed by the mob and generally controlled what went on in their own turf.

>You can use the DJ
>spell just as well in a case where you're arguing over who the
>oxen belong to.

Given that your suggestion requires an ordeal of hot coals to be undergone by the accused or plantiff this is a bit extreme for a dispute over cattle. Who gets to hold the coals in such a case? The one who doesn't say 'Bags Not Me!' first? :)