Fire and Elves

From: R. Andrew Bean <ABEAN_at_GEEL.DWT.CSIRO.AU>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 14:21:44 +1100 (EST)

Sandy said:
>Elf fire is good {whilst everybody else's fire is bad}
Hurray, cheers, applause !!! I've noticed everybody tends to take the European colonist point of view that bushfires are bad things. But certainly here in Australia and I think California various trees and other plants need a good intense fire heat in order to trigger off their regeneration cycle. A lot of Australian plants have adapted to periodic bushfires from lightning (combined with the intermittent rains that are never around to put the fires out).

In fact in Australia, as some news watchers may have noticed, we have just been through a bout of bushfires in Sydney. And around Melbourne where I live we're due for another Ash Wednesday. Lots of rain during winter so there is tonnes of underbrush grown up and now a dry spring and early summer so all that fuel dries to tinder and if we have a hot dry summer as predicted there are going to be a lot of fires. Has anyone else seens eucalyptus trees exploding along a bushfire front ? (the crown is full of eucalyptus oil that heats up and then explodes sending burning tree bits in a forty metre range). That's why roads and other attempts at fire clearing trails are often jumped by the fires out here, so allowing the fire to outrun any fleeing animals or humans quite easily - unless a strong wind is blowing into the front of course.

Anyway it should be an exciting year. These kind of conditions only happen every 5- 7 years. The point is that any elves living in this kind of Australian eucalypt forest will acknowledge fire as a very necessary part of the regeneration and the growth cycle (Oakfed is good and sexy). They may even a suicidal ecstatic cult for the worship perhaps? It is only the brown and green elves, who most people meet in Genertela, that go around saying fire is bad, and would have removed Yelmalio's fire powers from his worship (assuming he still had them to start off with ?)

Which leads to my next question. Does anyone know where an Australian type bush environment can be found in Genertela? I want eucaplypts, koala's, platypus, lillypilli bushes, rosella birds and bushes to play with. Does anyone know of an official location for that type of environment that has produced marsupials. I know some sections of the Pamaltelan plains has been suggested to contain Aboriginal models (the Left Hand Path from TOTRM - -although LHP do have huge differences from real-life aboriginal culture). I suspect down in the Southeast corner of Pamaltela south of Errinoru's jungles (it looks pretty isolated and peaceful enough for for the animals to survive). In Australia there were very few predators until the aborigines arrived and they then proceeded to wipe out most of the native predators themselves or with their dingoes. There are no native predator's left now that the European's have arrived. Just feral imports like cats and foxes.

Anyone have some info ?
Cheers, Andrew

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #65