Trivia, Justice and Oz

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 01:18:42 +1300

First off: the triva bit. I'm a Postgraduate Chemical Engineer. I spend my research hours in investigating the dynamics of cyclones (a name for a design of dust collectors with no moving parts). It's interesting work but the only downside is that I work right next to a guy who does some commercial research with grated Parmesan Cheese! I've sworn off the stuff for the next ten years and if I sound short tempered in some of my posts, it because I'm trying to fight a million years of evolution in the vomit reflex!

Martin:

I wrote:

>>Given that your suggestion requires an ordeal of hot coals to be
>>undergone by the accused or plantiff this is a bit extreme for a
>>dispute over cattle. Who gets to hold the coals in such a case?
>>The one who doesn't say 'Bags Not Me!' first? :)

>LOL. First of all, you don't use a divine spell for a cattle
>dispute unless there are *lots* of cattle involved. Second, the
>spell won't hurt you if your cause is just. <utterly straight
>face> So why be afraid? And the person who asked the judge to
>intervene is the one who has to ... er, gets to hold the hot
>coals.

hmm. This raises several interesting situations. Firstly, a large number of civil cases is motivated by petty mindedness and/or spite. IMO since there is always the risk that your cause is unjust. So what you do is you hatch nasty plots to goad the other person into laying the suit and hopefully he'll get his fingers burned in the process.

Also, I have a feeling that Illumination (which is popular in Dara Happa) allows one to pass the requirements of Justice. So we can easily imagine a school of Illumination called 'leeches'. They feel it fair game to go around accusing people of various misdeeds, passing the ritual of Divine Justice and recieving recompense to earn a living.

I like it!

Andrew Bean:

>Which leads to my next question. Does anyone know where an Australian type
>bush environment can be found in Genertela? I want eucaplypts, koala's,
>platypus, lillypilli bushes, rosella birds and bushes to play with. Does
>anyone know of an official location for that type of environment that has
>produced marsupials. I know some sections of the Pamaltelan plains has
>been suggested to contain Aboriginal models (the Left Hand Path from TOTRM
>- -although LHP do have huge differences from real-life aboriginal culture).

I always believed that Slon was an ideal for Australian Flora and Fauna. I must confess this is due to my blinkers for whenever I read about Slon in RQ Book 3.5 it mentions that the humans consider themselves dwarves and treat like animals the hsunchen people (or something similar). My mind immediately leaps to the treatment of the Aborigines by the Australians as an analogy.

The Jaskali (dinosaur hsunchen - suspect they are more sophisticated cultwise than your average stereotyped hsunchen) are not aborigine equivalents IMO. I see them as looking like Khoisan (an distinct ethnic group in S. Africa - John Hughes, I believe, has mentioned them on the daily) in their physical appearance and the Sloni city dwellers are akin to them (rather than being wareran as the ozzie parallel suggests). Both people, I think, are descendants of a Titanic Civilization that lives nearby.

Some people may object to this by saying that Dinosaurs and Marsupials don't mix. My understanding is that a long time before the Aborigines started dreaming, several species of giant carnivorus lizards (larger than a komodo dragon) existed in Australia and were the apex of the food chain, living off the marsupials (who could beat off the placentals, BTW). The Jaskali worship them because they're the dominant creatures of the land.

Merry Christmas!