an imtherian solstice tale

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 09:21:00 -0500 (EST)

(This Imtherian tale is commonly told in the Darkseason myths)

Though you have heard many stories about the death of Yelem, those stories are wrong. Yelem did not die. This is the true story of Yelem's descent into Hell and why he travels there even now.

Yelem, as all know, ruled the whole of the Earth and Sky, bringing light and warmth to all corners of the world. Above all, though, Yelem was known for his justice, for his ability to determine the truth and make fair judgments. One day, while Yelem sat upon his throne of justice hearing the petitions of his subjects, a pale and sorry creature came before the mighty god.

"Who are you?" asked Yelem, "and what is your petition."

"My lord, I am the soul of Man. While walking upon a gentle path,
someone who named himself Death, greeted me. I stopped to talk as I do with any stranger, but this one brought out a weapon and struck me down. I went to rise again, but my body did not do so. This, my soul, is all that would rise. My petition, my lord, is that I may be whole again."

"This seems just, but I must hear all sides," replied Yelem. He called
for his messengers to find first this figure named Death and then the body of Man, so that the petition could be granted.

Soon the courtiers returned. "My lord," they said, "we cannot find this figure Death. Those who know him say that he resides in the Underworld and is only subject to the rule of the Emperor of the Night. As for the body of Man, we cannot find it either, though a fine trail of dust and ash leads far west, even beyond the lair of Orlantio, Umath's child."

Yelem turned to the soul of Man. "It seems I cannot grant your petition. You must travel to the realm of the Emperor of the Night, who I do not know, and seek judgment there."

Thus, the weary soul of Man took the westward path, seeking its body and the Emperor of the Night.

Upon another day, while Yelem sat upon his throne of justice hearing the petitions of his subjects, an unknown figure hidden beneath a grey robe and hood came before the mighty god.

"Who are you?" asked Yelem, "and what is your petition."

"Lord, I am Maktal, keeper of Death. While walking upon a narrow bridge,
someone who named himself Orlantio, greeted me. I stopped to talk as I do with any stranger and this Orlantio offered me a gift. He told me this is the custom of this land and so I took the gift. Then this Orlantio said that I must give him a gift in return as this is also a custom of this land. When I asked what this gift should be, he told me that I must give him Death. Though I was reluctant, I agreed for I did not wish to violate the custom of this land. When I had done so and he had departed, I examined his gift to me. Lo and behold, there was nothing there! This creature Orlantio is nothing more than a thief. My petition, lord, is that I may have Death returned to me and that this

thief be punished."

"This seems just, but I must hear all sides," replied Yelem. He called
for his messengers to find first Orlantio and then the item called Death, so that the petition could be granted.

Soon the courtiers returned. "My lord," they said, "we cannot find Orlantio as he has hidden himself from our sight. As for the item Death, we cannot find it either, though a trail of blood and bones, the trail of Death so people say, leads far west, even beyond the lair of Orlantio."

Yelem turned to Maktal. "It seems I cannot grant your petition. But since Orlantio cannot be found here and the trail of Death leads beyond the west, you must travel to the realm of the Emperor of the Night, who I do not know, and seek judgment there."

Thus, the grim and unseen Maktal took the westward path, seeking Death and the Emperor of the Night.

The days passed, but another day came that Yelem sat upon his throne of justice hearing the petitions of his subjects. On this day, a pale light, dim and barely seen before the presence and majesty of Yelem, came before the mighty god.

"Who are you?" asked Yelem, "and what is your petition."

"My lord, I am the soul of your own son, Basmal. While aiding my
brother Khelmal, Orlantio struck me down with Death. I went to rise again, but my body did not do so. This, my soul, is all that would rise. My petition, my lord, is that Orlantio and his allies be punished so that I may be whole again."

"This seems just, but I must hear all sides," replied Yelem. He called
for his messengers to find first Orlantio and then the body of Basmal, so that the petition could be granted.

Soon the courtiers returned. "My lord," they said, "we cannot find Orlantio nor his weapon of Death. Those who know him say that he now resides in the Underworld and is only subject to the rule of the Emperor of the Night. As for the body of Basmal, we cannot find it either, though a fiery trail of blood and gore leads far west, even beyond the lair of Orlantio."

Yelem turned to the soul of Basmal. "It seems I cannot grant your petition. You must travel to the realm of the Emperor of the Night, who I do not know, and seek judgment there."

Thus, the weeping soul of Basmal, son of Yelem, took the westward path, seeking its body and the Emperor of the Night.

After Basmal's soul was gone, Yelem sat upon his throne and thought. And after he had thought awhile he spoke to his courtiers. "I do not perceive that justice has been done. I have advised three to seek

justice in the realm of the Emperor of the Night. These three have gone, but have not returned. And after each has gone, another has a grievance related to the first. Had justice been done, there would be no further grievances. Therefore, I must go myself westward and then into the realm of the Emperor of the Night to petition justice for my subjects."

Placing a son upon the throne of justice, Yelem gathered his courtiers to him and with great fanfare they travelled westward to the lair of Orlantio. This place was empty of all save a poor servant. When asked where his master was, the servant replied, "He said that he was going to the Western Gate."

So Yelem and his court travelled on to the Western Gate and found it open. Seeing no one around, Yelem paused. "This is the entrance to the realm of the Emperor of the Night, who I do not know. But if he is indeed an Emperor, than Divine Justice and Order should prevail within as it does in mine."

Laughter answered Yelem's musings. Yelem and his courtiers looked around but could see no one. Again laughter broke the silence. "Are you afraid to enter this realm? Come, Yelem, come and bring your justice to the Emperor of the Night. Don't you know that he and I are friends? You will see real justice done!"

Orlantio laughed again, for indeed it was he, though none could see his form beyond the Gate.

Yelem turned to his court then and told them that they must pass through the gate and enter the realm of the Emperor of the Night for only so could justice be achieved. But when all had passed, Orlantio appeared behind them. The trickster had used his wiles to throw his voice and deceive Yelem.

"I have you now, Yelem. You will trouble me no more with your rules and
justice." And so speaking, Orlantio slammed the Western Gate shut behind Yelem and his court. Outside Orlantio locked the gate with strong winds and strange magics.

Yelem knew that they could not escape, but he did not believe the words of Orlantio. Turning to his court, he spoke, "We cannot return the way we came. We can only descend to the court of the Emperor of the Night. There we must seek justice, a justice that will encompass both our world above and his world below. Come, now, and follow me."

Thus did Yelem and his court pass into the Underworld to seek true justice for the world.