Marsupials in Glorantha...

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 23:53:50 +1300

MOB:

>Aussie Fauna

>I like to think Australia Fauna (& Flora - the ubiquitous Vegemite plant) might
>be found on mainland Pamaltela too, as well as on an island somewheres. The
>Left Hand tribes of Tarien and Jolar seem to hunt kangaroos and such like
>(see TotRM #11).

Ok, given that Sandy doesn't think its Slon (which is a bit too remote for marsupials to enter the mainland), how about this proposal?

The homeland of the Masloi (Elf Coasts) originally was around Loral and the Kumanku Isles. We know that these isles were originally bigger in the past (Thinobutan sunk during time and sunken lands seems to be a popular theme in Glorantha). My suggestion is that Loral was a continent in the past and has been shrinking ever since.

Its fauna is that of Prehistoric Australia; Big Reptiles preying on marsupial mammals (plus some marsupial carnivores). The big reptiles ties in well with the Masloi homeland being plagued by horrid monsters (like the myriad-headed hydra).

The Masloi introduce the marsupials and some pet reptiles to the mainland (like running crocodiles. I'm thinking the Masloi have a custom similar to the Spanish Running of the Bulls only they do it with these lovely critters). Marsupial species like Tree Kangeroos will be found in the Errinoru Jungle and neighbouring areas. The frequency of marsupials in Pamaltela decreases, the further one gets from the Maslo Coast.

Now where to stick the South American Marsupials? :)