More Oz fauna..

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 22:06:27 +1300

Sandy:

>Peter M. in response to my suggestion that the timinit islands or the
>Jrusteli isles be the home of the Australian fauna

One thing about the Loral hypothesis. I put Kumanku (the insect isles) in by mistake, having fumbled Gloranthan Geography. Some Oz fauna can still be found in Jrustela and Kumanku by my proposal, it's just that I now feel Loral to be a bit more appropiate to be the home of Oz fauna.

>>The trouble with this idea is that Kangeroos as I understand evolved
>>the hopping mechanism as an efficient means of transportation over
>>long distances over a flat terrain.

> Except the roos don't actually live all over the Great
>Western Desert, do they? I thought that the big flat middle of Oz was
>pretty much non-grazeland. Having been raised in a desert, I don't
>make the mistake of thinking that it's necessarily desolate, but I
>picture kangaroos as veldt/savannah/prairie beasties, not desert. Am
>I wrong?

Veldt/savannah/prairie beasties is about right and was what I was thinking of. When I said flat, I didn't mean the Utah Salt flats. The grassland for most of australia is marginal which is why I imagined the roos travelling from place to place trying to find food.

Jrustela (I must admit I was really thinking of the Island where the Dwarfs are) is very rough thus I don't think roos have an easy time there. Furthermore the ozzie fauna (Big reptiles and marsupials) are interesting in their own right and I just feel Jrustela getting a bit too crowded faunawise  with the tinimits already there.

But what should we have for Justela? My proposal is this: we have beefed up versions on insectivores to prey on the tinimits like gigantic anteaters?