Re: from Sandy

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idcube.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 95 10:02:15 -0800

GOBLINS: in Pamaltela, deformed usually small monsters that are somehow connected to swamps and primitive plant life.

        In Genertela, chaotic critters of darkness -- in essence, anything creepy that isn't strong enough to be considered a "demon".

        In the East Isles, any monster from the land of dreams.

John Hughes
>Sticklepick/blackburn is based upon the roman dish of liquified

>and fermented fish variously known as garum, oxygarum,

>liquamen, muria etc.

        I have no idea what garum and oxygarum are, but my sources indicate that liquamen is a fish sauce, not a meal in itself. It is composed of the fermented oil from fish or other sea creatures (such as shrimp), and apparently was used with almost every meal. The exact recipe is now lost, but it was probably quite similar to the modern Thai or Vietnamese fish sauces which taste nasty by themselves, but which impart a delightful flavor to dishes when used properly (IMO).

        Muria is wine in which salt has been added to the point that no more salt will dissolve in it. It is not particularly edible, but presumably was a useful cooking ingredient.

>Human urine was a common export in ancient times

        In medieval Italy, 'twas common knowledge that the very best liquid to use in manufacturing gunpowder was a wine-drinkers' urine. Professional gunners (who at the time made their own black powder) therefore obtained an extra booze ration, presumably the point behind their spreading this "fact" around.