Re: maunderings

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idcube.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 95 08:07:21 -0800

Ralf Engels:
>Could anyone give me a brief description of "Griffin Mountain
>Reality" ?

        I'm not sure what you mean by this, but in essence, Balazar has now officially a Blank Land. The general feeling around Chaosium was that the Elder Wilds is probably a troll hunting ground, and that this was underemphasized in the original text. But in general, in my campaign and in the Chaosium house campaign, Griffin Mountain remained basically as it was.

Joe
>I understand that in an elderly issue of Different Worlds, there was
>a write up of Geo and his cult. Could anyone provide ANY of that
>information?

        Geo's cult appeared in DW #1, so it's really hard to find. Geo is the Sartarite god of hospitality, as it were. He is acknowledged by innkeepers and the like. He teaches a Rune Spell of Cure Hangover (works on a whole room full of people at once), and a spirit spell of Kill Lice (kills all the active lice on one person at a time -- of course, new lice can immediately begin to infiltrate).

        There is an entity known as Geo's Bouncer who travels from inn to inn in a wagon, and carries a big axe (as I recall). The Bouncer is a basically benign spirit who sometimes acts as a spirit of retribution, and seems to harbor no resentment whatsoever against the Lunar occupation.

MOB on fish sauce
>The sauce seems to have been made by allowing split fish to
>suppurate on racks in the sun, and collecting the resulting run-off
>liquid in trays underneath.

        There's more to it than that. Both the romans and modern-time fish-sauce makers press the fish carcasses at the bottom of bottles of liquid, and let the juice age. The result is a cheesy mass of fish flesh and a quantity of highly flavored liquid. Folks like the Norwegians seem to prefer to eat the resulting fish itself, whereas the romans used the liquid.

        Well-made liquamen was golden in color and quite clear. The type of fish used greatly affects the flavor of the sauce. Note that to this day some brands of worcestershire sauce and A-1 Steak Sauce (for instance) contain anchovies -- you can look on worcestershire sauce as the last remaining trace of liquamen in modern Europe if you like.

        While fish sauce sounds disgusting, and tastes rather strong, I contend nonetheless that a teaspoon or two added to dishes lends an _excellent_ flavor. Anyone who's eaten Thai or Vietnamese food has certainly had fish sauce unknowingly. There's no reason that the Roman fish sauce, while strong-smelling too, would have tasted much different when used in dishes. Though there are reports that the Romans used to souse their food in heavy doses of liquamen, which is not done by most modern fish-sauce-users.