Plows; Husbands

From: Doug Thayer <thayer_at_eagle.sangamon.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 02:33:32 -0800 (CST)

It seems to me the correct metal for a plow in Gloranthan terms is the metal of the appropriate Husband of Ernalda. This to me has the appropriate symbology. Since in orlanthi territories this would be bronze (for Orlanth), I would connect iron plows in orlanthi territory with some form of alternative to the accepted marriage, and the exact benefit of this form of plowing to the myth (or vice versa). For instance, perhaps Ernalda had secret love for Humakt in her heart and there is a part of her only he can touch, manifest in hard ground only iron plows can cut; alternately, hard ground is the result of past rapes and transgressions against the earth. Perhaps iron plows are a clan secret, because only that clan has the appropriate myth, and that clan also has a disproportionately high number of Humakti?

ps. enjoying the discussions about real earth plows and urine. Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is urine used for (is it just a mild acid, or does it have other properties as well?)