Trivia

From: White, Adrian <awhite_at_intera.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 95 14:10:48 GMT

Just to lend support to Charlie Dominoe and join the "not either employed in the computer field or a student/professor of history/humanities, or something similar" gang. I am a senior production geologist for a firm of international consultants. Which, apart from being an excellent conversation stopper, means that i spend a lot of time trying to guess how much oil is in a given oil field and how to get it out.

I have been playing both Gloranthan and non-Gloranthan RQ on and off since the early eighties and after a 3 year pause have started GM'ing a campaign using the RoC, SC, SiP and Borderlands material. Unfortunately i never made out of the RQ2 system so i spend a lot of time adjusting NPC stats and fudging things, but as the PC's aren't experienced with RQ3 they don't notice !??

Although i agree that the odd thread or two can get esoteric i find that the discussions are great for getting the brain going on subjects that wouldn't normally rear their heads. The descriptive/geographical material (such as the recent stuff on Far Point, Baboons, Dinacoli etc.) form excellent references and fall backs for when players come up with an unexpected "what do the do for living in X-land?" or other awkward questions.

Adrian