Re: maunderings by Sandy

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idcube.idsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 07:52:48 -0800

Henk:
>Find an Indonesian (Malaysian or Thai might do as well) kitchen
>and look for 'Trassi Udang'. It's a dried paste of fermented
>shrimp, sold in chunks.

        This, while doubtless delectable, is not the same thing as liquamen appears to be -- the Romans used the liquor from the fermenting fish, not the past itself (though both are edible).

Ian Gorlick:
>Maybe there is someone in the medical field who could give some
>input on this issue. As far as I know, human piss is all about the
>same when it comes out.

        Eating different foods and drinking different liquids certainly has a powerful effect on the color and odor of urine, and presumably its chemical content as well. I won't go into too many details -- we've all seen said effects. I know when I eat fresh asparagus I get an interesting odor to my urine that I detect at no other time, and that when I eat fresh beets, my urine turns red.

        So presumably if the Spanish ate or drink quite different foods from the Romans, their urine would be different.

Charlie Domino
>while I find the discussions on here interesting, except for some
>rare tidbits, they aren't of much practical use in a campaign; ... I
>wonder if there are others like myself who find the format of the
>rules group and the subject matter herin a bit, er, smothering at
>times?

        Despite my frequent participation on the scholarly discussions (as witness diatribes on urine and fermented fish above), I think most Digesters are aware that my main interest in Glorantha is as a place that's fun to adventure in. I'm sure there's other folks like you, Charlie, Every once in a while one of you guys gets the nerve up to mildly berate the rest of us for writing stuff with Minimal Game Utility.

        I have lengthy files on many subjects. What would you be interested in/find useful? You and your "non-scholarly" compatriots? Rules? Scenarios? Cults? Geography? I throw myself upon your good pleasure.