Tokoloshes and Trivia

From: Dave Pearton <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 1995 15:46:17 -0800 (PST)

Well in response to the recent plea for more "useful" information I finally got around to trying to write some trickster information. I this in when sent in when Henk's disk died and didn't keep a copy. So after laboriously retyping this....

The Tokolosh
(A Pamaltelan trickster spirit).

The tokoloshe is a mischievious spirit encountered in the Pamaltelan velt. It is often found near streams and pools (for reasons that should become obvious). In appearence it resembles a small (3'), rotund man. It has a vaguely comical appearence with disproportionately large ears nose, etc. The tokolosh's most prominant feature, however, is an extremely long penis. So long in fact, that he wraps it around his wait like a belt to keep from tripping over it.

The tokolosh has a passion for young and beautiful maidens and will try to force his sexual attentions on any such. He seems particularly fascinated by girls bathing and will spy on anyone he finds doing so. If the girl is beautiful enough, or if there are more than one, he is overcome by his passion and longing and reveals himself on the banks of the river. He then calls out to try and get them to come out and "play" with him. If this does not succeed he will unwrap his organ and wave it "enticeingly" in the hopes of luring them out. If they do not he will soon get angry and jump around on the riverbanks in fury threatening dire things if they do not come out and join him. Fortunately he is almost completely ineffectual and his threats are largely meaningless. The tokolosh will not enter the water as he is terrified of the nymphs that inhabit the streams. The nymphs in turn generally hate tokoloshes as they often try to catch and rape them. If the girls appear to be in any danger they can call on the nymph of the stream and she will often aid them.

The most dangerous situation is if he comes across a young woman alone and far from anyone else. He will attempt to surprise her and have his way with her Fortunately the if the victim is able to keep her wits about her then she has a good chance of escaping. Before he can do anything the tokolosh has to unwrap his penis from around his waist, this gives a quick thinking person time to escape and once the tokolosh has his penis unwrapped he will be unable to chase her as he will continually trip over his organ and get it suck in trees and bushes, etc.

The tokolshe has a huge ego, so if he is ridiculed and laughed at he will soon run away humiliated and mortified.

Trivia:

Well, everyone else seems to be bringing out their deepest darkest secrets, so here goes. I am a South African who has just come to the US (Seattle) to read for a PhD in Biochemistry, so I suppose I'm not one of the heavy-hitter humanities types. I am working on:

        "the influence of runic fields on protein structure and folding dynamics, including x-ray crystallographic analysis of magical crystals
(alive and dead)." This work will be submitted to the Institute for
Physico-magical chemistry on Jurustela. An earlier research project involving the molecular basis of broo heriditry was abandoned after the experimental subjects were wiped out by a bunch of marauding storm bulls.

I've known RQ since the mid-eighties but did not find that much opportunity to play in SA. Since moving to Seattle I've become involved in DAvid Dunham's East Ralios Pendragon Pass game, Pam Carlson's Borderlands campaign and we have just started a Vormain game. I am on-and-off working on a campaign set in the Bliss of Ignorance, which might get set up in the next ten years or so!

Cheers,
Yak
- --

Dave Pearton				* ....As I was saying before I
Biochemistry Dept.			* was so rudely interrupted
University of Washington		* by one of my multiple
Seattle					* personalities....
pearton_at_u.washington.edu		*
pearton_at_unpsun1.cc.unp.ac.za		* Naked Lunch (W.S. Burroughs)